[chirp_users] Please post

Tom Hayward
Thu Sep 13 13:19:47 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Guy Teague <accts at gtweb.org> wrote:
> there are evidently major problems on the mac. i have basically the
> same setup and with both the uv5r and the uv6d and two different
> cables i can only get the mac to recognize the radio perhaps once out
> of two dozen attempts--download or upload.
>
> using windows7 64-bit via vmware on the same mac same usb port same
> cable succeeds every single time, so obviously there is no fault with
> the radio(s) or cable(s) or usb port conflict.
>
> also, i noticed the mac version of chirp does not have all the
> functions of the windows version and requires yet more python modules
> to support radio reference db. i consider myself lucky to have the
> windows workaround because i think if you had a mac only and had to
> depend on the chirp port you would be very frustrated.
>
> /guy (73 de kg5vt)

Please quit spewing FUD. I use Chirp on my Mac and prefer it to
Windows. All Chirp features are available on all operating systems.
That's the whole point of Chirp. I wrote the Radio Reference support
on my Mac and it works just fine.

The issue with your cable is undoubtedly with the OS X drivers. Avoid
the counterfeit PL2303 cables; everything else works great.

Tom KD7LXL