[chirp_users] Version of Baofeng UV-5R not supported by CHIRP?

The Silver Fox
Wed Oct 24 10:49:18 PDT 2012

I don't think that is true of all radios.  There is nothing in the radio
that precludes writing to it on hookup other than the initial handshake.

73,

Alan - W6ARH

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of
Kc6iih at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:56 AM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Version of Baofeng UV-5R not supported by CHIRP?

I think no matter what radio you are programming you always need to download
from the radio first.

Jock  KC6IIH

In a message dated 10/24/2012 9:19:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ghalejr at gmail.com writes:

I was able to successfully use the latest daily build on both my 251, and
291 versions of UV-5R. What you cannot do, is load one radio, then go to the
other radio, and load it. When you go to the other version, you need to
download from the radio, the open the file with all your saved info, and
upload it to the new radio. In other words, download from the radio, even if
you do not intend to use the file, that seems to be what tells chirp what
version radio you have.

George