[chirp_users] Chirp making life easier...

Chuck Hast
Sun Oct 14 14:50:20 PDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2012 10:26 PM, "Chuck Hast" <kp4djt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The question is has anyone tried to port Chirp to Android? These
>> nice big tablets sure make nice screens for the vehicle and the
>> cheaper ones do not cost that much.
>
> No, I haven't tried to port Chirp to Android, but I've thought about it. The
> trouble is that Chirp is written in Python so not a single line would run on
> Android without being ported, and further its GUI is pygtk, so would need to
> be rewritten for the Android GUI (not just a port). The resulting software
> would resemble nothing of Chirp except the concept.

Tom,
I do not know if this will help or not:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940

It appears that there is python for Android, but I am not sure if it goes deep
enough for Chirp. If it does that may be something you can use.

Be nice not to have to carry a laptop to program radios B-], once you get
it on a Android device, I am going to assume that about any one of them
could support it, and if you replace the wire with one of the bluetooth serial
ports you no longer have to tether the radio to be programmed to the tablet
you just link to the BT serial device.

> This to me seems much more useful than Chirp-for-Android.

If someone is willing to try it I am a willing tester. That big 10.1 inch screen
sure invites all kinds of neat things for the mobile environment.