[chirp_users] Chirp making life easier...

Tom Hayward
Sun Oct 14 07:51:18 PDT 2012

On Oct 13, 2012 10:26 PM, "Chuck Hast" <kp4djt at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is has anyone tried to port Chirp to Android? These
> nice big tablets sure make nice screens for the vehicle and the
> cheaper ones do not cost that much.

No, I haven't tried to port Chirp to Android, but I've thought about it.
The trouble is that Chirp is written in Python so not a single line would
run on Android without being ported, and further its GUI is pygtk, so would
need to be rewritten for the Android GUI (not just a port). The resulting
software would resemble nothing of Chirp except the concept.

> Of course the next step is a screen for direct entry of the front
> panel and a real nice proper presentation of a control panel on a
> touch screen.

This to me seems much more useful than Chirp-for-Android.

Tom KD7LXL