[chirp_users] Are there any plans for this?

mike agner
Thu Oct 11 18:01:05 PDT 2012

I've been playing around with the RadioReference (RR) import, and
wondering if there's any plans afoot to expand the function beyond just
getting frequencies from a certain zip code. That seems very limited,
and RR has much more than that available.

For example, the site, over the last year or so, has started accepting
ham radio repeater frequencies, and it has a rather large nationwide
listing. In addition, there are many organizations and categories
available at the state level.

Many scanner software packages have this functionality, and I suspect
that hams that are members of RR would appreciate having it. As I
understand it, having worked a little with some software authors
(including the author of FreeScan for the Uniden DMA scanners, who is
himself a ham) there's a fair amount of flexibility in being able to
select or de-select certain categories of frequencies (for example, here
in Maryland, the State Police have an extensive 39 Mhz listing, but few
if any ham radios receive there. These could be blocked.)

Since I can't send HTML here, I will say that there's a brief wiki page
on the SOAP protocol on RR, and we have how FreeScan defined the
conventional import using the web service - lots of pix there. I will
send the URLs to those who are interested...TIA...Mike