[chirp_users] VX-7r: odd memory group behavior

Dan Smith
Tue May 8 17:23:54 PDT 2012

> I'm not sure if this is an oddity of the Yaesu VX-7r or of Chirp.
> Suppose I program my radio with Chirp to have a block of frequencies in
> MG1 and another block in MG2.  When this is written to the radio, then I
> should be able to press MONF+9 to get to the Special Memory menu, turn the
> knob to "MR Group" and press PTT and select the block I want to monitor.
> Instead I get a double beep telling me I can't do that.  However, if I
> assign some memory slot to a memory group from the radio's keypad, THEN I
> am able to select "MR Group" and monitor the group I want.  Since this
> happens only after cloning from Chirp, I'm inclined to believe this is a
> bug in Chirp.  I am currently working around this by leaving memory slot 1
> unassigned.  After I program the radio, I then manually assign slot 1 to
> memory group 1.
>
> Has anyone else with a VX-7r noticed this behavior?

No, but I've already got things in my VX7 in groups. There may be some
bit somewhere that needs to be enabled that signals the radio to know,
at a high-level, that there are memories in groups.

Tom, is this similar to what you've seen with the VX5?