[chirp_users] VX5 trouble

Dan Smith
Tue Mar 6 19:28:39 PST 2012

Fair warning: I have never laid hands on a VX-5. I wrote the driver
purely in speculation and have had reports that it works.

> Now I put the VX5 in memory recall mode and look for memories 201-216.
> They're not there! However, if I try to create a new memory with the
> VX5, the VX5 shows those slots are taken.

Perhaps the driver is not properly setting some used/empty bit?

> No luck. I got CLONE ERROR on the display, and this in the terminal:
>
> "Clone failed: Radio did not ack block 1"

If this happened and then you were able to upload/download it again
later, I think it was probably an intermittent cable/connection issue,
or some stale data in the serial buffer.

> 9. Download from radio VX5
> 10. Add memory 1: 146.52
> 11. Upload to radio VX5

Does this mean add memory 1 where it didn't exist before? If so, that
blows my theory above out of the water.

> I'm not sure what to try next. I can provide img files if needed.

If I were you, I'd start downloading images, making small changes,
downloading more images and doing the binary diff dance. I can do it for
you, but it's much (much) harder to do so without hands on the radio. I
can help you through it on IRC if you like :)