[chirp_users] VX5 trouble

Tom Hayward
Sun Mar 4 12:23:46 PST 2012

I added a few new repeaters to my Kenwood TM-D710 and wanted to copy
them to my Yaesu VX5. Here's my process:

1. Download from radio TM-D710
2. Export to CSV

1. Download from radio VX5
2. Import CSV

So far things worked fine. I successfully imported memories 501-516
from the D710 into memories 201-216 of the VX5 tab in Chirp.

3. Upload to radio VX5.

Now I put the VX5 in memory recall mode and look for memories 201-216.
They're not there! However, if I try to create a new memory with the
VX5, the VX5 shows those slots are taken.

4. Download from radio VX5

I cloned VX->chirp again to see if the new memories had at least been
stored, even if they could not be recalled. They are there. Apparently
the VX5's memory recall function just doesn't like something about the
bits.

5. Change mode of memory 201 from NFM to FM
6. Upload to radio VX5

Thinking maybe the narrow option was confusing the VX5 (I don't
believe it's a narrowband-capable radio), I tried changing NFM->FM to
see if it would be able to recall the memory. This time I got CLONE
ERROR on the display and the radio appears to be in factory reset
condition. I figure I can just restore it to an image I created last
week...

7. Open vx5.img
8. Upload to radio VX5

No luck. I got CLONE ERROR on the display, and this in the terminal:

"Clone failed: Radio did not ack block 1"

Maybe the VX5 has failed? Let's try something simple...

9. Download from radio VX5
10. Add memory 1: 146.52
11. Upload to radio VX5

I am able to recall memory 1 as 146.52 in the VX5.

I'm not sure what to try next. I can provide img files if needed.

Tom KD7LXL