[chirp_users] FT-817ND Writing problem

Kurt Savegnago
Sun Jan 22 16:41:53 PST 2012

Well,

  Though my 817ND seemed  to be reset by attempting to write a memory file to it,
I was able to recover the frequencies by using FT-817 Commander.  The old frequencies were still in the 817  but had to be turned on!!??  I did a fresh install of
the 817 Commander on another computer and it showed they were "in there" but I had to activate them and rewrite the memory using the 817 Commander.  Anybody else have any problems with writing to an 817ND with chirp?
   To recap, I place the 817ND into clone mode, hit the C button and tell Chirp to upload the .img file to the rig.  After the write progression bar disappears, the rig just sits there.  During the write process, the 1/8 notes go across the screen of the 817ND but a complete indication is never seen/heard.
  I'd caution people who are working with an 817 when trying to do writes with Chirp.
If you have FT-817 commander, use that to make a memory backup.  Scroll down on this link to get to a download of the old FT-817 Commander:
http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/showthread.php?23307-FT-817-Commander-Download
                                                 Kurt KC9LDH

--- On Sun, 1/22/12, Kurt Savegnago <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Kurt Savegnago <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] FT-817ND Howto?
To: "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Date: Sunday, January 22, 2012, 4:57 PM

O.K.

  That worked.  Modified the .img and did the reverse.  Got chirp ready to transfer the modified img file and hit the C button on the 817 and then did an upload to the 817.
Both units showed a progression during the transfer but there was no beep or any
indication the transfer was successful.  Restarted the 817 and the rig was reset to the
baseline.  Fortunately, I didn't have but 3 frequencies in it but all the parameters I had set are gone.  I had the thing download from the rig just fine and I saved the .img file
but it won't write to the
 817.

                                                  Kurt KC9LDH