[chirp_users] Kenwood tm-v71a no longer responding

Dan Smith
Mon Dec 24 13:43:35 PST 2012

> Just today, however, after having updated to the 2012-12-24, it fails to
> receive a response from radio, again, either via auto-detect or manual
> entry of tm-v71.

Hmm, nothing has changed for that driver in months. Any chance you've
got a cable or connectivity issue?

> As well, wondering why I've gotta' run it as root?  It worx, but isn't
> optimal...

This isn't a chirp thing, it's a distro/OS thing. Make sure you're in
the dialout group (or whichever group owns your serial port). If you
change your membership, you'll need to log out and back in again to get
the new group in your list.