[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 40, Issue 30

Dan Smith
Sun Apr 29 06:39:11 PDT 2012

> 2. Tried "Device Manager" to make sure I had the correct com port
> selected.  A couple of times, it would show "Com 3" for example when it
> really was on Com 4 according to device manager.  Just making sure I
> didn't have a Com Port selection problem.

I'm not sure what you mean here by "it would show com 3". You need to
point CHIRP to whatever port number device manager tells you.

> 3.  First, I installed the driver from the Chinese USB cable supplier,
> which says it is a "Prolific"2303 All-In-One"  Then tried Woxun's
> "Windows "USB Driver for XP" with the same result, and finally Woxun's
> "When All Else Fails" driver.

Does the cable work in any other software? Is it fully inserted into the
radio? Have you tried the OEM software?

Is the radio transmitting when you're doing any of this? The baofeng
radios don't have proper filtering on their external connectors, which
will often cause them to lock into a transmit state if the cable is
connected. This seems to be due to RF entering the line going back into
the radio and overloading some circuit responsible for keying the radio.
I have seen situations where someone plugs the cable into the radio,
which causes a brief transmission, but that transmission locks the radio
into TX mode continuously until the cable is unplugged. Since the radio
won't respond to the PC while transmitting, CHIRP gets no response.

> 5.  Not sure where to find the debug log.  Excuse my ignorance.

Once again, the "how to report issues" page has a top-level section
called "Getting your debug log":

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_To_Report_Issues