[chirp_users] VX-6 Clone Upload Hangs?

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 18 17:30:16 PDT 2012

> After getting my cable working so Chirp can download (clone) from my
> VX-6, now it hangs on the upload!  This doesn't appear to be cable
> related – things start to go south in the debug log (below) with
> some file permission errors.  But I installed this from an account
> with full admin privileges and run it from that same account.  And is
> the eventual failure because of this?

No, those are just fallout from GTK trying to save stuff, unrelated to
anything CHIRP is doing. As you can see, they're not
permissions-related, but rather complaining that some directory doesn't
exist (probably ~/.local). You can try to create that and see if they go
away, but I doubt they're related to your issue.

> The clone/Tx progress bar indicates the transmission at least gets
> started before the hang…

And what does the radio do? I assume it starts and then times out
waiting for the computer? It's far enough that it's sent at least the
header block to the radio and received the ACK.

Based on your stack trace, it's just in a dead-simple loop writing data
out to the serial port. It's not even looking for a response from the
radio. The number of things that could cause this all lie fairly low,
such as the driver for your cable, your cable, etc. If you wait long
enough for that to complete, then you should get another error about not
getting a response from the radio. If you never get that, then CHIRP is
blocked writing to the serial port against its will, which screams of a
driver issue.

It seems like MacOS users always have lots of trouble finding
stable/suitable drivers for their USB dongles. The ones that persevere
eventually find one that works, and the ones that don't, well...don't.

Unfortunately, I don't even own a physical Mac so there's not a whole
lot I can do to help. There are a lot of folks successfully using the
MacOS build with a variety of radios.

Maybe someone else on this list that actually uses MacOS could chime in
with some suggestions for you...