[chirp_users] Users Manual or Help file?

Dan Smith
Wed Oct 12 12:08:30 PDT 2011

> I downloaded the Chirp software yesterday and got it running with my
> Wouxon and Baofeng HTs, but now I'm looking for a Users Manual, web page
> description of how to use the software, or a Help file.  Is this
> available for this software?  Chirp looks interesting, but I can't seem
> to find an explanation of how to use it and what it does.

Well, Joe, there isn't a whole lot of documentation to be had. There are
a couple of reasons for that:

1. When I write documentation, it usually ends up a little confusing for
the people that don't understand the internals, since I tend to write
about how it works instead of how it should be used.

2. If I were to spend a lot of time on documentation, then CHIRP would
have fewer features and support for fewer radio models.

Somewhat of a cop-out, but I do work for a living and can't spend all
the time on CHIRP that I'd like.

What I'd really like is for someone (or a group of folks) to take on the
task of writing and maintaining a user's manual. I can certainly
contribute content to it and answer questions, of course.

That being said, there are a few things on the site that may help get
you started...

The beginner's guide:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Beginners_Guide

the FAQ:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ

and the archives of this list:

http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/

Feel free to ask any questions you have here, if you don't find them
elsewhere.