[chirp_users] Chirp IndexError

Tom Hayward
Wed May 4 14:46:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 15:37, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:
>> That did the trick. Any suggestions on what serial port to use with
>> the suggested eBay USB cable to a VX-6?
>
> I'm sure that's a Prolific 2303 chip, but I'm not sure if you need a
> driver for it or not.  I'm not sure what device it shows up as under
> MacOS.  Something like /dev/cu.usbserial or similar.  Hopefully you can
> google/poke around for details on that brand/model and find what you need.

If it's Prolific (or one of the Chinese counterfeit Prolific chips
that are so common these days), it'll be something like
/dev/cu.pl2303-xxxx, I think. Once you have the drivers installed, and
plug in the USB cable, you can find it with this command:

ls -t /dev/cu.* | head -n 1

That lists your serial ports in order of most recent to oldest, and
returns only the first one in the list. If you just now plugged in the
USB cable, it will surely be the newest serial port on the system.

Tom KD7LXL