[chirp_users] Chirp test with Wouxun.

John Wilkerson
Tue Mar 22 12:30:33 PDT 2011

On 3/22/2011 2:58 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> Software shows NFM when downloaded profile is displayed onscreen....
>> HOWEVER, when re-uploading to radio, the setting STILL shiws wide, as
>> previously programmed.
>
> So, lets just make sure we've got our terminology straight here.  CHIRP
> has the following definitions:
>
>    FM = 25kHz steps, 5kHz deviation
> NFM = 12.5kHz steps, 2.5kHz deviation
on UHF.. VHF is different.. but that isn't important right now :)

> WFM = (broadcast FM, wide-wide bandwidth)

> That matches Icom's notion of the terminology, but not Yaesu's for
> example.  What Yaesu calls NFM is CHIRP's FM, and what it calls FM is
> what CHIRP calls WFM.
>
> Although contrary to what I told you privately, looking at the code,
> CHIRP's Wouxun driver does have knowledge of the Narrow/Wide bit in the
> Wouxun's memory, but it could be interpreting the meaning incorrectly.
> If you could double-check the behavior with the above definitions, that
> would be appreciated.

Verified... evidently, this aspect is not being correctly "pulled" from
the radio.  I changed from wide to narrow via the Wouxun software, then
uploaded.  Verified on the radio's menu, then downloaded in chirp.
Displayed mode say NFM.

>> Also, Scan skip is displayed onscreen, yet when sent back to the radio,
>> again, previously programmed settings stick.
>
> Hmm, are you sure it's not inverted?  Like, you set it for no Skip and
> it turns on Skip on the radio (and vice versa)?

I saw the whole program indicate "S" across the board. No blanks. About
half "really" are set to skip, such as weather service.

>> Editing settings:
>>
>> I changed some settings... BUT.. when uploading them to the radio they
>> did NOT stick.
>> My obervations is that the program at this time can only download a file
>> for observation.  Data communication is fine; but for some reason, the
>> program cannot change any info.
>
> Hmm, that's definitely strange.  Have you tried changing something super
> obvious like a frequency or tone mode and confirmed that it does not
> update the radio properly?

Yes... definitely did... a whole lot of frequency changes and all... no go.

Is it possible there is some "checksum" or weird bit that has to be set
right for some settings to be properly acknowleged by the radio?

It's hard to decipher an unconventional radio... when used to the "big
three" Wouxun tosses a few ringers in there.