[chirp_users] Chirp Data transfer

Ken Simpson, W8EK
Sun Jul 3 16:54:36 PDT 2011

I am am new to the idea of programming radios from the computer, and
the chirp software looks good.

But I can not get it to work!

I have a Yaesu VX-3 (among others) that I would like to program.

I installed the CHIRP program.  I also have the USB cable that I got
from e-bay.  It is installed, and at least it says that it is working
OK, and is on Com 3.

I thought that I needed to go to "Radio" and then "Download from
radio" and get the data that is presently in the VX-3.   At least that
seems logical to me!  I try to go that, but can not get the data from
the VX-3.  I do get the box that says "Cloning from radio".

It says Com 3 OK, and appears that it is trying to download the data
from the VX-3.  I have the VX-3 in clone mode, and it says it is
transmitting data (I pushed "Band" after getting into clone mode, and
the display says "Tx").  That sounds like it should work, but it times
out after about 30 seconds or so.  Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

73,

Ken, W8EK