[chirp_users] USB<--> RS-232 cables

Mike Heitmann
Thu Dec 15 12:54:47 PST 2011

All the programming cable discussions prompted me to pass this tip someone else gave me along:
On the recommendation of someone I met at the D-RATS booth in Dayton this year, I've made several programming cables using these devices:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

They terminate to bare wires so you can put whatever connector you need on the end. It's also easy to slip a copper braid over the wire for shielding if that is required. I've had no issues using them on Windows or Linux.

Mouser sells them:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?FTDI/USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT_50/&qs=D1/PMqvA100CRKe9cg4TXA==

This model is RS-232, but they have them for TTL an RS-422 as well.

I'm using them for radio programming  and D-RATS data with my IC-2820, IC92 and ID-880, and for radio CAT/PTT/CW keying with my IC-706 and K2 HF radios. The '706 CAT cable is connected homebrewed CIV circuit covered with black heat shrink tubing. It makes a nice, compact cable. The '92AD requires the addition of a DB9 connector to mate with the ICOM radio cable unless you're willing to sacrifice it and cut it's DB9 off.

Mike Heitmann, N0SO