[chirp_users] Hello, delightful program, thanks

Dan Smith
Fri Aug 26 17:40:09 PDT 2011

> It installed almost flawlessly with
>
>      python setup.py
>
> It complained about a missing chirp.png, so I copied your logo, parked
> it in share/ and reran the installation, all is well, although the logo
> doesn't appear in the start menu (Linux openSUSE 11.4 KDE 4.6). No biggie.

Are you using a recent daily build? I think I fixed this a couple days ago.

> Occasionally when changing a channel parameter the radio does not
> respond rapidly enough so I get an error, but inevitably on trying again
> it works. Not sure whether writing with a TAB or ENTER makes any
> difference, these errors seem to occur regardless of which I use to
> enter the change.

Yes, it's very frustrating -- for the users and developer. The radio can
switch baud rates at will (it seems) and each time you communicate with
it, you have to send it a special block to wake it up (and out of data
mode). The Icom software seems to either (a) have some interesting
algorithm for doing that appropriately, or (b) blasts the radio a lot
and hopes it wakes up.

> But the more difficult problem is in writing to a CSV file. Every
> attempt to do this fails with a python error if I try to customize the
> path and filename of the destination CSV:
>
>      invalid literal for int() with base 10 'A' on line 4

Hmm, can you send me the full console output so I can have a look?

> I'll be sending a contribution.

Thanks, always appreciated! :)