[chirp_users] OSX and the TH-D72 with CHIRP

Vernon Mauery
Fri Apr 22 07:20:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:
>> The only thing I can think of is that Python, GTK and PyGTK are different on this system

Just wanted to chime in here and say that the 0.1.11 release works
fine for me in Ubuntu 10.10.  I can't really think of anything that
chirp does that would be system specific with the serial port that
would prevent it from working on OSX.  It opens it, sets the baud
rate, writes a few bytes, reads a few bytes, changes the baud rate,
checks CTS, sets RTS, does some more reads and writes and closes the
port.

> Ah.  I hadn't thought of it until just now, but I bet that that's it (or
> at least, related).  CentOS5 has a very old version of python, which
> often causes issues if I'm not real careful.  The stack trace you pasted
> before doesn't show anything indicating such a thing, but most of the
> detect functions are run with a blanket exception handler I think, which
> might hide that.

CentOS5 also has a fairly old kernel, which would have older drivers,
so that could be another difference.

> Good call, I'll have to take a look through it and see what I can come
> up with.

An interesting patch might be one that changes all the blanket
exception handlers into raise statements if 'debug mode' is turned on.

def print_backtrace():
    a,b,c = sys.exc_info()

try:
    do some stuff
except:
    if debug:
        print_backtrace()

That way you could normally quiet all the annoying stuff during a
normal run, but you could gather useful information if you are looking
for a bug.  In some cases if you are getting too much junk, the
blanket except handlers might be better turned into a series of
excepts to allow a certain type of exception to pass, while catching
others.

--Vernon