[chirp_users] CSV Import

Dave Cooley
Wed Nov 26 09:19:54 PST 2008

Thanks for the clarification. I don't need to use this file it was only for
testing. I will delete it and make a new one from the current version. The
logical "File Format Compare" step would be extreeeeeeeeemely helpful. You
get my vote. This goes for import overlays as well. Hint Hint I spent the
better part of 4 hours running down an invisible entry (space) in a csv file
for the map import only to discover through the debug that it was trying to
import to many fields. I hate to sound windowish, but an error messsage
would be of great help in these circumstances.

Thanks Dan

73

Dave
N4DIB

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_users-bounces at lists.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:00 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] CSV Import

Hi Dave,

> Not having much luck importing csv into Chirp using the import feature
> (although it is much easier to find the file now with the selectable
> dropdown) Here is a copy of the csv file.  Can someone see what is
> wrong? This file was created from chirp as an export.

It looks like this CSV file was generated with CHIRP before I added the
Tuning Step field to the format.  So, CHIRP is looking for the tuning step
in what is actually the URCALL field and thus is failing to import each of
the lines.

I obviously need to make it report these sorts of failures better, no
question about that.

Anyway, if you insert a column (using Excel or something) after the Mode
field, and before the URCALL field, and put something like "5.0" in there
for each memory, then you should be able to import it.

Further, I'm about to add a couple more columns like skip and bank in there,
which will require another change to existing CSV files.  This is a good
reason why CSV isn't a very practical storage mechanism for things like
this.  The .chirp files can have version information embedded in them so we
can help protect backwards compatibility.

How about I read the first line of the CSV and compare it to the list of
column headers the current version would write out, and throw an error
message if they don't match?  This would help determine that the formats are
incompatible.  The only problem with this is that if you synthesize a CSV
file, you'd have to include that header verbatim, and if you tweaked it by
accident, it would fail to import.

Dave T, you're a heavy CSV user... What would you think about adding that to
the CSV load logic?

dsmith#danplanet.com, s/#/@/

Internal Virus Database is out of date.