[chirp_users] CHIRP 0.1.8b3

Dave Cooley
Sun Nov 23 20:10:13 PST 2008

Dan,
I am not sure if it is even feasible as some of the advantages I see are
rather complex inherent to Excel.
1. The ability to delete and insert columns. This feature is needed when you
resort a channel group and want to re-sequence it. If you keep the channel
numbers the same nothing will change once you reload it to the radio as it
loads by channel number.
2. Find and replace. If you want to rename channels (with a new naming
convention more suitable to multiple radios) you have to edit each channel.
Excel lets you find a string and replace it in mass.
3. The ability to cut and paste. When setting up call sign routing you copy
one row to multiple rows and then edit just the name and urcall fields. Also
this allows you to move groups of channels from on bank to another.

In that most radio programming is based upon the spreadsheet format, any
spreadsheet functions will make it easier to move and manipulate data.

73

Dave
N4DIB

P.S. I agree with David that having a file type pull down would make it
easier. Also when loading a file it would be very beneficial as you could
look for just .chirp or .csv files  My Two Cents...