[chirp_devel] Python 3 Status (Where to help)

Charlie Li
Thu Nov 19 16:16:10 PST 2020

Dan Smith via chirp_devel wrote:
> The UI needs more work to come up to parity with the main branch, and of course, the majority of the drivers still need to be converted (no, 2to3 isn't enough) and tested for real. To be honest, with everything going on this year, I'm not super interested in spending a lot of time on it right now at the expense of everything else I've got going on. The flatpak build now means linux people can run it without needing distro support for py2 or going to great lengths. I expect Apple is going to screw us (further) here pretty soon, although I'm not sure even py4 can save us from that.

The wxPython-based GUI needs a lot of work still, definitely.

However, with some minor, mostly manual 2to3 syntax, adjustments to many
files, I've been running the pygtk2-based GUI using pygobject3. As
pygobject3 includes pygtk2 compatibility shims, most stuff, at least
with programming certain Baofeng and BTECH radios, works as-is with
Python 3.

The FreeBSD ports collection, of which I and a few others in ham land
contribute to, recently removed this from the collection as part of
ridding Python 2 from the tree by the end of this year, no exceptions.
Flatpak is not an option on non-Linux Unix-like operating systems.

> You're welcome to send me patches against the py3 branch if you want (please make them obvious), but I have to prioritize fixes and stuff on the main branch just out of respect to the 99.9% of users that it impacts.

The local patch set I have for using pygobject3 is based off the py3
branch, but it is a stopgap; I think anything serious for continuing the
existing pygtk2 code on pygobject3 should be based on the default branch
anyway, to at the very least pick up driver updates. Last time I
checked, the delta between the two branches has become a bit too great
for comfort.

--
Charlie Li
K3CL