[chirp_devel] CHIRP programming

Ran Giladi
Fri Mar 22 11:01:40 PDT 2013

OK, will come back after trying.

-----Original Message-----
From: esarfl at gmail.com [mailto:esarfl at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tom Hayward
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 7:56 PM
To: ran at bgu.ac.il
Cc: chirp_devel at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: Re: CHIRP programming

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Ran Giladi <ran at bgu.ac.il> wrote:
> Thanks. My apologies.
>
> I connected my Baofeng UV-5R to Chirp (under Linux) - and it works.
>
> Now, to the main issue - can we work on the FT-1900 on-line, to include it?

We need physical access to the radio to add support for it.

You can try to write support for it yourself. Start by copying another Yaesu radio module, like ft1802.py, and changing the names to FT-1900.
Attempt a download from the radio. In the console/debug.log, you will see a counter as it is reading data. If this counter stops incrementing and you get a clone timeout, you have found the memsize of your FT-1900. Lower the memsize value in your new ft1900.py file until you get a successful read. This assumes the FT-1900 speaks the same protocol as other Yaesus, which is most likely true.

Now you can start guessing the locations and encoding of the memory contents. The way I do this is by resetting the radio, reading its contents, then saving the img file. Now add a memory from the radio's front panel, download, and save another img. Compare the two img files with hexdump and diff. Now you will see what changes in the file when a memory is added.

> PS - what should be done to see the menu?

This is a "feature" of Ubuntu that we have no control over. You can remove the feature from Ubuntu with "sudo apt-get remove indicator-appmenu" but be warned this may break other things.

Tom KD7LXL