[chirp_devel] CHIRP programming

Tom Hayward
Fri Mar 22 10:55:53 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Ran Giladi <ran at bgu.ac.il> wrote:
> Thanks. My apologies.
>
> I connected my Baofeng UV-5R to Chirp (under Linux) - and it works.
>
> Now, to the main issue - can we work on the FT-1900 on-line, to include it?

We need physical access to the radio to add support for it.

You can try to write support for it yourself. Start by copying another
Yaesu radio module, like ft1802.py, and changing the names to FT-1900.
Attempt a download from the radio. In the console/debug.log, you will
see a counter as it is reading data. If this counter stops
incrementing and you get a clone timeout, you have found the memsize
of your FT-1900. Lower the memsize value in your new ft1900.py file
until you get a successful read. This assumes the FT-1900 speaks the
same protocol as other Yaesus, which is most likely true.

Now you can start guessing the locations and encoding of the memory
contents. The way I do this is by resetting the radio, reading its
contents, then saving the img file. Now add a memory from the radio's
front panel, download, and save another img. Compare the two img files
with hexdump and diff. Now you will see what changes in the file when
a memory is added.

> PS - what should be done to see the menu?

This is a "feature" of Ubuntu that we have no control over. You can
remove the feature from Ubuntu with "sudo apt-get remove
indicator-appmenu" but be warned this may break other things.

Tom KD7LXL