[chirp_devel] Repeaterbook.com and other repeater databases.

Dan Smith
Tue May 17 16:36:06 PDT 2011

> Have anyone here looked at repeaterbook.com at all?

Heh, free, a sane web interface, and they have an iOS app too.  I wonder
how comprehensive the database is.  It also makes me wonder what the
RFinder value proposition will be :)

> It also has some areas that need work.  The guy who wrote the site
> is a self-taught php developer.  He's been pretty open to the
> suggestions/changes that I've proposed.

It returns queries semi-instantly, so at least he has a grasp on the
backend. There is some information in there on "paper repeaters" in my
area that are coordinated, but never got put up. Looks like some of the
data was imported from the local coordination body (gotta get it
somehow, I suppose).

> There are a couple of export formats currently supported. I think we
> have a reasonable chance of getting chirp csv export format added.
> (Chirp native xml is in the range of possibilities too of course)

That would be great. Maybe you can bring it up if you already have a
relationship with him? It'd be even nicer to have a web services
interface to the query, but that would cut down on his ad revenue.

> There are lots of repeater databases out there, but most seem to
> have put little to no thought into the data maintenance process.

Yeah, I've just never been one to preload my radio like that before
traveling, so I'm usually not on the lookout for stuff like this.  I
guess some people are, though.

> All the effort seems to go into the GUI and the database/site quickly
> looses relevance as the data slowly rots.
 >
> Thoughts?  Comments?

Yeah, the RFinder guys seem to have no consistency checks in the data
they put in (or imported, or whatever). Tone values with transposed
digits and what-not. Does the repeater book site handle that better?
Requiring a human editor is a nice idea, but weeding out invalid tones
and things of that sort is much better done in code, I'd say.

Unless nobody finds it interesting/useful, I think the integrated
RFinder client functionality in chirp is still worthwhile.  Would you
agree, or not?