[chirp_devel] Repeaterbook.com and other repeater databases.

Robert Terzi
Tue May 17 16:14:55 PDT 2011

On 5/17/2011 6:32 PM, Dan Smith wrote:

>> RFinder is a subscription-based repeater database.  This adds an
>> item under the Radio menu for "Import from RFinder".
>
> This database is not publicly available right now, but will soon become
> a subscription-based service.

Have anyone here looked at repeaterbook.com at all?

It's a fairly open web based system that allows anyone to
submit updates which get routed to volunteer "data admins"
by geography.  It's got some very useful functionality
like proximity search -- try your zip code:

http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/prox.php

It also has some areas that need work.  The guy who wrote
the site is a self-taught php developer.  He's been pretty
open to the suggestions/changes that I've proposed.

There are a couple of export formats currently supported.
I think we have a reasonable chance of getting chirp
csv export format added.  (Chirp native xml is in the range
of possibilities too of course)

There are lots of repeater databases out there, but most
seem to have put little to no thought into the data
maintenance process.  All the effort seems to go into the
GUI and the database/site quickly looses relevance as
the data slowly rots.

Thoughts?  Comments?

--Rob