[UAT] Mic-E bug (with fix)

Martin Hebnes Pedersen
Thu Jan 17 05:10:18 PST 2013

Hi!

First of all I would like to say I really like your project Dan. I've
been looking for this kind of APRS software for a while now, so thank
you for taking the time to write it and for making the source available
to us.

I've managed to get it running on a Pi in my car using GPSd and an
OpenTracker+.

I quickly realized that there had to be a bug in the generation of Mic-E
beacons, and after some debugging I found that the L-bit, lonsc in
make_mice_beacon(), should be 1 if lon is between 0-9 or larger than 99.
Current implementation only sets the L-bit to 1 if lon > 100. See page
47 (Longitude Degrees Encoding) in the APRS Protocol Reference (
ftp://ftp.tapr.org/aprssig/aprsspec/spec/aprs101/APRS101.pdf).

Patch as attachment.

I have also wondering if you have any plans on supporting metric units
to be displayed? Maybe an option in aprs.ini? I would be happy to help
you implement this feature if you like.

Regards,
Martin Hebnes Pedersen
LA5NTA