[drats_users] ERROR Correction in slow speed data

Matthew Pitts
Fri Sep 20 15:47:43 PDT 2013

Joel,

Conventional VoIP probably doesn't, but D-Star and other similar systems don't follow those rules; the FEC is actually handled by the AMBE Vocoder chips through firmware programming.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

________________________________
 From: Joel Black <w4jbb at charter.net>
To: Discussion of D-RATS <drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [drats_users] ERROR Correction in slow speed data

Okay, this goes against what little I have learned about VoIP traffic.

I didn't think there was any FEC with voice.  That's why voice has
    priority on data networks that use VoIP.  Otherwise, if a data
    packet has priority, it would bump a voice packet.  When a voice
    packet is bumped, you lose bits of it resulting in choppy audio.

I have experienced this when some of our first quasi VoIP locations
    came online.  Voice is live traffic.  Once it is said, it goes.
    There's nothing to re-transmit.

Without getting into the engineering (which will leave me drooling
    and nodding off to sleep), how does D-STAR use FEC on voice?

73,
Joel - W4JBB