[drats_users] Ubuntu

W Paul Mills
Sun Sep 9 18:51:09 PDT 2012

Press and hold the "Windows" key and then the "a" key. In the box that
comes up, type "software", You should get a choice of "Ubuntu Software
Center" and possibly "Synaptic". I prefer Synaptc. Either should allow
you to Install, remove, or purge applications.

What do you mean, by d-rats does not work. Please be more specific.
Does it not start at all? Or what? D-rats does many things, and
generally requires more setup by the user than chirp.

If your usb-serial converter works with chirp, then you do not have a
driver problem with the converter.

Good luck,
Paul

On 09/07/2012 10:08 AM, Don Poaps wrote:
> I only had 1 USB Serial in. It was the Aten US232. Now only Chirp
> works but no D-Rats. I have a sick Ubuntu I think. My Ubuntu
> Software Center disappeared. I'd delete D-Rats and reboot and
> reload. If I new how. Or find the program to do it.
>
> Don VA7DGP VA7DGP
>

> Metrotown Salvation Army Member
>
> Amateur Radio Operator
>
> Vector Member(www.vectorradio.ca)
>
> New Westminister, BC
>
> sent on my Blackberry Cell
>
> -----Original Message----- From: W Paul Mills
> <W.P.Mills at Mills-USA.com> Sender:
> drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012
> 08:45:47 To: <drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> Reply-To:
> Discussion of D-RATS <drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> Subject:
> Re: [drats_users] Ubuntu
>
> It should work as is with stock Ubuntu kernel. Should show up as
> "/dev/ttyUSB0" unless you have another USB to serial converter. "0"
> is the first "1" the second, etc.
>
> On 09/06/2012 07:48 PM, Don Poaps wrote:
>> Greeting
>>
>> I have finally gotten Ubuntu on my Laptop. I went to Ubuntu
>> Software Center. I loaded the Chirp, and D-Rats. It unpacked
>> itself. However the USB Serial Converter is the hang up. If it
>> was windows I know what to do. I can't find the driver for Aten
>> UC232A driver. It has linux driver but its says Redhat. I
>> downloaded it. I don't know the linux syntax to get this thing to
>> talk to radio. I have another Prolific USB Serial Driver. I want
>> to use that with the TNC.
>>
>> I looked in System Settings but I really don't see anything like
>> device manager.
>>
>> Don VA7DGP VA7DGP
>>

>> Metrotown Salvation Army Member
>>
>> Amateur Radio Operator