[drats_users] Some D-RATS questions (mostly AX25 related)

Jason Godfrey
Wed Jun 13 17:10:25 PDT 2012

Hello.

I've been looking at D-RATS to help support a bike event. Given that many
of our volunteers don't have D-STAR gear and a lack of infrastructure, I am
thinking we would have to use packet. I have some questions I haven't been
able to find answers for in the manual or via Google. I'm hoping someone
could give me some answers.

1) Is there a way to repeat APRS position reports onto a D-RATS net? For
example, if I have some SAG wagons with APRS tracker kits, can I get their
position reports to display on the D-RATS map and other D-RATS users I am
communicating with? (I know there is a gateway for DPRS to APRS, but I
haven't found anything on the other direction.)

2) Is there anything "bad" about using a TNC connected to 144.39, setting
the PATH to some WIDEn-n, and using the existing digipeater infrastructure
for D-RATS? We have a fairly large area to cover, but fortunately there is
OK digi coverage, and the channel isn't heavily loaded.

I had another question about using tactical callsigns with AX25, but I
think I can use the QST feature to get legal ID's in.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine my way.
- Jason, N0RPM

--
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to
verify their authenticity." - *Abraham Lincoln*