[drats_users] Which cables work with DRATS?

Mike Heitmann
Thu May 5 18:55:50 PDT 2011

I use my '92 AD with a Prolific USB - serial dongle all of the time and it
works fine, but I use the OPC-1799 data cable that came with the RS-92
software.

The cable you are describing (with the 1/8" plug) sounds like a cloning
cable. You might be able to use it to program the radio in clone mode, but I
don't think you can use it for serial data with the '92AD.

73,

Mike, N0SO

From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Kent
Hufford
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:18 PM
To: 'Discussion of D-RATS'
Cc: 'Mike Newland'; dstarsoftware at yahoogroups.com; 'Charlie Miller'
Subject: [drats_users] Which cables work with DRATS?

We had a DRATS/Pizza get together at my place for lunch to get our laptops
running DRATS.

We were all successful in getting the current b5 version running on our
laptops, and sending and receiving thru the internet to the RATFLECTOR and
back.

A couple of us got our 92s and 91s running DRATS via RF, simplex, and even
thru the local repeater. My 92 used an original ICOM cable from the radio to
a real serial port. The

91 used the 3/32 stereo cable thru a USB to serial converter.

However, we had one 92 we could not get to key with DRATS. It was a serial
cable, running thru a usb to serial connector. The cable, I think was the
old style RT systems serial cable

that had serial on one end and 1/8 stereo on the other, which required the
ICOM splitter that has a 3/32 stereo jack and a 1/8 stereo jack. I hooked
the 92 to my cable and I could key it.

I hooked my cable to his usb adapter and it would not key. I hooked my
cable, thru my computer and it would key his radio. So, I think we had the
settings in his radio correct.

He also has a "new" RT systems USB cable, version 4, that we tried, that did
not work(which we have been told would not).

We even tried another USB to serial adapter. It was on the correct port,
because we could running the programming software, which could read and
write to the 92.

So, after you read all this. The only way I could make the recalcitrant 92
work, is use my serial equipped laptop, and my ICOM serial cable with the
funny ICOM connector.

Must be a way to make a 92 work with a serial usb adapter?

Thanks in advance

Kent

KQ4KK