[drats_users] D-RATS support in the ircDDB Gateway

Mark Phillips
Tue Mar 1 12:57:41 PST 2011

IMHO, those asking for D-RATS "support" in pcrepeatercontroller
demonstrate a clear misunderstanding of how it works - both D-STAR and
D-RATS.

D-RATS with DVAR requires only that (usually) local user pass his DRATS
data to the slow data socket in DVAR. DVAR then forces that data out
over it's radio port. Network connections were not allowed by KB9KHM for
whatever his reasons were. I do however see a requirement for slow data
via D-RATS to be forwarded to whatever stations are connected to the
repeater but that would happen via the RF inputs and so should have the
relevant D-STAR addressing already.

Jonathan; take a read of this
http://www.d-rats.com/documentation/4-howtos/32-using-your-hotspot-for-d-rats/
(written by some English bloke who thinks his $h1t doesn't stink) to get
an idea of the current RF functionality.

Dan & Jonathan; can we come up with some way of dumping the voice
content and filling it with data? Surely this is just payload? Agreed, a
listener will not be able to decode the data without your combined
softwares but at least we'll be able to get out of the not quite 1200bd
packet arena.

Keep it up fellas!!

Mark

On 03/01/2011 01:25 AM, Jonathan Naylor wrote:
> Hi John
>
> I'm getting requests for D-RATS support from people who run DVAR and
> want to upgrade to something more capable. So you have the systems on
> windy hilltops, and those running in peoples houses where they want to
> be able to play with the GUI and use external software. It's an
> interesting balancing act as the two sometimes conflict in their
> requirements.
>
> Jann asked me about adding D-RATS support long ago when I started the
> gateway project, but he didn't push it since I was still getting the
> basics running at the time.
>
> Jonathan G4KLX

/\/\ark Phillips