[drats_users] (no subject)

Dan Smith
Fri Oct 22 19:24:02 PDT 2010

> Update to D-rat's testing with TNC's and AGW  . Sorry haven't been
> around much to do testing on the beta software but here goes what I have
> found tonight. I've been told that it is possible to send and receive
> Winlink messages via tnc to RF RMS stations . I haven't been able to
> prove this. I can connect to a RMS station via the tnc with the agw mode
> but not in standard kiss mode in fact I can't create a TNC "Kiss Mode"
> without checking the ax25 box.When a send receive wl2k command is sent
> in the tnc mode with the ax25 box checked an error is generated and the
> dbug file states no agw port exists.

Right, you can only do RF RMS connections with an AGW port.  This is
because AGW implements AX.25 layer 3, which is required to talk to
legacy packet systems like Winlink.  The TNC support in D-RATS, even
with the AX.25 box selected only implements layer 2, and thus can't
connect to an RMS machine directly.

> While connected to a RMS Winlink site via the agw tnc setup it will
> bring the connection to the Prompt">" but will not proceed and send the
> proper command to check for any new messages. There's no way to send the
> command or disconnect from the RMS site so you have to wait for the
> inactivity timer to expire before it disconnects.
> Also the standard QST beacon's  when in the agw mode are sent they go
> out as  src via relay rather than the callsign via D-rat's..I'm going to
> run through a few of the issues and hopefully send you my dbug
> file..73's Rick N1RCW.. Still plugg'n!

Yeah, there are some discrepancies between the TNC's pure layer 2 AX.25
and the AGW driver, which depends on the AGW daemon's support for that.
 Still plenty of work to do :(