[drats_users] Uninstall?

Dan Smith
Wed Mar 10 08:49:55 PST 2010

> I'm currently rebuilding a netbook and I'm installing the current stable
> version of D-RATS, but if I decide to try the latest beta, do I need to
> uninstall first? I noticed there is no uninstall in Add Programs
> (Windows XP).

Nope, you don't need to uninstall.  The reason it's not in the
Add/Remove programs menu is because installing D-RATS doesn't splatter a
bunch of stuff to all corners of your system that requires a complicated
cleanup procedure.  You can simply install the desired version over the
previous one.

The only snag you may run into is if you try a very new version and then
configuration file that confuses the old version.  I'd just try it first
and if it works, then don't give it a second thought.  However, if it
gives you trouble, just nuke your config file.  Alternately, you could
make a copy of your config file before trying the newer beta version so
that you can restore it if and when you go back.

Instructions for finding your config file are here:

http://www.d-rats.com/documentation/frequently-asked-questions/3-reporting-problems/7-where-do-i-find-my-configuration-file/

I hope that answers your question.