[drats_users] Daemon version of D-RATS for Linux?

Dan Smith
Thu Jun 10 10:15:08 PDT 2010

> Is it possible to run a D-RATS repeater proxy in a Linux box without
> X?

Yes.

> The reason I'm asking this is that currently we are running the proxy
> as a gateway with a simplex radio at the clubhouse on a hill. D-RATS
> happily runs (sort of) in a Windows box we have for a ADS-B receiver.
> However, I'd like to move it in a Debian box that runs aprx APRS igate
> plus digipeater, and since last week also D-PRS -> APRS gateway. Un-
> fortunately the box is an aging P700-class mini-ITX machine that does
> not have X windows installed, nor will it have. It would be nice to
> be able to just connect aprx to localhost port 9000 to listen to D-PRS
> positions.

Yep, shouldn't be a problem.  Occasionally I add a gtk import to a
library file that causes it to complain if DISPLAY isn't set on a
headless box, but if you hit that just tell me and I'll shuffle things
around to avoid it.  I run the ratflectors on a headless machine without
any trouble.