[drats_users] Lessons Learned?

Dan Smith
Sat Jan 30 16:24:48 PST 2010

> The El Paso County RACES is going to be using D-Rats for an upcoming
> 5 county exercise. This will be the first time for us to use D-Rats. We
> have been working on training our members on the use of D-Rats. We
> expect to send about 400 messages in a 5 hour period during both the
> functional and full scale exercise. What I am looking for is any lessons
> learned by other groups or individuals that we could include in out
> training to help prevent us in making the same mistake. So, let me hear
> from you as to what you have found worked well and what did not work for
> you.

Definitely good to get feedback from the others, but I'll throw in a few
things:

1. Try to avoid using the channel for voice as well.  If you must, call
   for a couple minutes of quiet to transfer a batch of messages/files.
2. Use the ping function to test connectivity before sending a file or
   message to another station.
3. If you can go simplex, do it, as it's much faster.  The repeaters
   guarantee that you have the "hidden transmitter" problem every single
   time, so simplex is better if you can do it.
4. Use message routing to hop through an intermediate station if you
   can't directly contact the destination.  Either use gratuitous paths,
   or just let the intermediate station figure it out.
5. If you have a lot of messages coming to a single station (say, the
   County EOC), you can use two radios on one station to provide two
   paths in.  Everyone from the east can use VHF, everyone from the west
   can use UHF, etc.