[drats_users] Use of TNC with D-RATS

Dan Smith
Wed Aug 11 09:33:32 PDT 2010

Hi Bob,

> We use D-Star and APRS/Packet in our EOC and the Search and Rescue
> Group.  D-Rats would be a great tool for us if it worked as a bridge.
>
> I just joined the group, I hope I did not miss the feature being added.

I'm not looking to make D-RATS a bridge between D-STAR and AX.25/Packet
(formal Packet, capital-P).

D-RATS has the ability to use a KISS TNC as a modem, and has some very
minimal support for wrapping things so that they could be digi'd in such
an environment.  In that sort of setup, a D-RATS station with a D-STAR
radio and a KISS modem can be a bridge between the two modes.  However,
it doesn't (and won't) bridge typical connected-mode AX.25/Packet
(messages, BBSes, etc, etc) between the two.

I hope that helps answer your question :)