[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.3b1

Dan Smith
Mon Apr 19 16:07:09 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I just posted D-RATS 0.3.3b1 with a fair number of new features:

- Make chat quick messages orderable and respond accordingly to F1-F12
  for quick access
- Make form windows remember their sizes (stored separately for each
  form type)
- Reorganize the internal packing for form window widgets in a grid for
  better visibility if the window is wide
- Allow sending of rich forms to regular email recipients by sending the
  HTML pretty-printed version
- Make the message list columns resize themselves more intelligently
- Preliminary AGWPE support for UI packet-based connectivity (allowing
  D-RATS packets to pass through a digi)
- Winlink RMS client support over an AGWPE connection and option to use
  that instead of a network connection to Winlink CMS
- Add a POP3 and SMTP server to D-RATS, allowing Paclink-like
  connectivity from normal mail clients over a LAN
- Add a count at the top of the stations sidebar
- Add a chat toolbar
- Add "chat room" functionality to chat tab
- Add "private conversation" to chat tab
- Improved performance with socket-based connections
- Improve station idle time calculation and display
- Allow setting the Exec QST sanity limit
- Fix severing radio connections every time the preferences are saved
- Fix hanging the UI while trying to connect to a non-responsive host
- Fix (I hope) a major mapping error causing some repeated tiles in
  certain locations at some zoom levels
- Fix an issue with starting the connectivity test
- Fix keyboard navigation of the message folder list
- Fix not logging actual error dumps to the debug log
- Fix forcing the chat display to the bottom every time a new message
  comes in
- Fix prefixing [QST] to all qst messages (this was lost at some point)

For those people who reported (or have been noticing) the map issue,
please verify that it's gone and that the map behaves correctly otherwise.

The "chat room" function will allow you to "join" a channel by clicking
the button on the toolbar and typing a channel name.  All users that
have done the same will see messages sent in that channel (barring the
usual lost/corrupted message requirement of course).  The "private chat"
function is, of course, not really private.  It just allows you to have
a conversation with a remote station without it being displayed on
everyone else's screen.  It is not really private and nobody should
expect it to be.

The POP3/SMTP server support deserves some discussion, so if you're
interested in this, reply here and I'll cover it a bit.

I have only tested the Winlink RMS connectivity on Linux with something
other than the mainstream AGWPE engine, so some feedback about how it
works for people would be appreciated.