[drats_users] Use of TNC with D-RATS

John Davis
Mon Apr 5 11:58:45 PDT 2010

Thanks, Dan.  If the AX.25 changes can be made to pass thru a digi, D-RATS could become the defacto program for all data, Packet and/or D-STAR.  Of course, the next question is when that could be added?

ARES groups would really benefit from a single data solution that works on Packet and D-STAR.  D-RATS has all of the functionality needed with email, Winlink support, messaging, forms and mapping.

We're running an event in Georgia this weekend (MS Bike Ride) with 84 mile course from Atlanta to Athens and back.  We're using D-STAR exclusively and plan to use D-RATS for mapping the SAG vehicles along the course.

John
WB4QDX

-----Original Message-----
From: drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:drats_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 1:17 PM
To: Discussion of D-RATS
Subject: Re: [drats_users] Use of TNC with D-RATS

Hi John,

> I see the capability for D-RATS to talk to a TNC.  I’m not sure what
>  functionality this allows.  Can two stations with TNCs use D-RATS
> over VHF Packet to communicate to each other?

Yes, that's the idea.

> Through a digi, too?

Not yet.  In order to go through a digipeater, I have to implement a
little bit of AX.25, which I have not yet done.

> What functions are active?

Anything that works over a D-STAR radio should work over a TNC.

> If a RATFLECTOR had a port to a D-STAR radio and another to a TNC/VHF
>  Packet station, would communications bridge across.  What functions
> would work?

Correct, it would bridge the traffic and all functions should work.  If
you add a network port in there, you could have some stations on a TNC,
some on D-STAR, and some connecting in over the network or internet.

Hope that helps!