[drats_users] [D-RATS] #223: McFee Antivirus Software re VA7DEP

W Paul Mills
Mon Apr 5 01:49:03 PDT 2010

Go into windows control panel, and be very sure that you do not have two
anti-virus programs running.

Case in point. I once had a problem with a computer in which Norton
Anti-Virus had been pre-installed. It had never been activated, never
been told to run, and had been immediately removed from a new computer.
Trend Micro's anti-virus had then been installed. A year or so later it
developed problems with network printing. Printing would work fine when
Trend Micro was turned off. All Trend Micro settings were correct.
Turned out that the Norton product does not uninstall itself when you
tell it to, even though it had never been activated. Required
downloading a special program to uninstall the rest of Norton.

My Linux machines never have these problems ;-)

Gord & Maureen Dick wrote:
> Thanks Mike, but we have already told it to exempt and that's not
> working.
> gord
> On 4-Apr-10, at 1:10 PM, Mike Heitmann wrote:
>
>> I don't know about McFee, but most windows anti-virus software has a
>> mechanism for telling it to exempt a specific program from it's
>> limiting actions. If it's not obvious in the user interface, I'd
>> contact their product support and ask them how to do it.
>>
>> 73,
>> Mike, N0SO

- --
* W. Paul Mills - Jack of all hobbies and trades *
* Electronics/Instrument (industrial) Technician *
* Debian Linux / C / Basic / Pascal hacker       *
* Banjo picker (where did I leave that banjer?)  *
* Photographer - opps! no film, no mermory card  *
* Amateur Radio Operator AC0HY -- retired pro    *