[drats_users] IC92AD-DRats and voice comms concurrently?

Dan Smith
Sun Apr 4 11:38:51 PDT 2010

Hi Greg,

> To connect to DRATS (via the radio), I unhook my GPS microphone and
> put the OPC1799 data cable from radio to computer.
>
> That allows me to communicate text and data via DRATS.
>
> However it also removes my ability to communicate on DSTAR via voice
> and removes by ability to use DGPS.  Am I correct here or am I missing
> something?
>
> Ideally I would like to use DRATS and digital voice comms concurrently
> on the IC92AD -- is this possible?  (Throw in DGPS into the mix of
> data and voice and  I would be very happy).

You can still use the mic built into the 92 body, of course.  This is
one downside of the 92 over all the other radios, because it shares the
single moisture-resistant connector between the microphone and the data
jack.  On a 91, for example, you can have a mic plugged into the top and
a data cable plugged into the jack on the right side.

All of the radios lose their ability to do integrated GPS when you put
them in data mode.  However, you can hook an external GPS to D-RATS to
have it proxy the GPS data to the data channel for you to regain some of
that ability.

Hope that helps!