[drats_users] Email Proposal

Ron Wenig
Sun Oct 18 10:47:03 PDT 2009

Hi Dan,

I am a winlink user with a gateway that runs 24X7.  When I first got
into D-Star I envisioned that one day the D-Star system would be an
additional means of passing email traffic to and from RF.  With the use
of D-Rats and the scenario that you talk about I can see that
happening.  In this area we have tested the implementation that you have
now with D-Rats.  I set up my station as the mail server.  Another sent
a message with the email form addressed to his email address.  Within
minutes he received the message in his regular email account.  Of course
this is using my own ISP to accomplish this.  A separate pop mail server
with an @d-rats.com address would be great.  The message can be sent via
RF through the local D-Star repeater or even the gateway which can
greatly extend the coverage.  At this time winlink usually is restricted
to vhf/uhf either direct or through digipeaters.  In my area packet is
not allowed on the voice repeaters.  This would be a boom for emergency
data communications.  Also, the second point you make about the TNC.
With D-Star you don't need a TNC.  I really urge you to pursue your
ponderings and implement it into your D-Rats program.

73, Ron ny3j