[drats_users] Running D-RATS From Source in Windows

Mike Heitmann
Thu Oct 1 22:13:47 PDT 2009

All,

I know this is an old thread, but I finally had a chance to look at this
again (it's been a busy few weeks. I'm happy to report that Dan hit the nail
on the head with his suggestion shown below: I replaced the file libxml2.dll
in \GTK\bin with the one installed in
\Python26\Lib\site-packages\libxmlmods, as he suggested, and now d-rats runs
from the source under Windows Vista.

Thanks Dan!

73,
Mike, N0SO

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com>
To: Discussion of D-RATS <drats_users at lists.danplanet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [drats_users] Running D-RATS From Source in Windows

> Just for fun, I've tried unsuccessfully to get D-RATS to run from
> source in Windows. I'm able to run drats_repeaters this way, but when
> I try to start d_rats I get this in the debug log:

Well, successful or not, you win the prize to be the first person (to my
knowledge) to even try :)

> packages\libxml2.py", line 1, in <module>
>    from libxmlmods import libxml2mod
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

I *think* this is because GTK installs an older version of the libxml2 DLL
than the libxml2 package does.  You might want to do a system search for
libxml DLLs and delete all but the newest one (or copy the new one to the
location of the old ones).  I've only had to set up the environment on
Windows about twice since I started the whole project, so there's a little
bit of work to be done each time I do it.

Also note that my Windows build system is running Python 2.5 because that is
what was out when I built it, and I have no reason to shoot myself in the
foot by trying 2.6.

I hope you get it working.  Do let me know.. :)