[drats_users] 0.3.2b6 rpmbuild

Mike Heitmann
Sat Nov 14 08:28:06 PST 2009

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 15:04 +1000, Adrian wrote:
> >I'm getting the same thing with Fedora 11. What did you take out to
> >get it to build?
>
> Mike, Did you try my rpm at;
>
> http://vk4tux.no-ip.org/d-rats-0.3.2b6-1.i386.rpm
>
> to see if that installs ok on your fc11 setup?

I tried it, it won't easily install because of a dependency on
python2.5. FC11 installs python2.6.

> Tried fc11 myself, but too many issues with firefox/thunderbird crashes
>  and other issues, even with the workarounds done.
>
> I went back to fc10 which is rock solid here.

FC11 stability is much improved now compared to when it was release 6
months ago - I guess that's the down side to software development based
primarily on schedule, sometimes it's "not ready for prime time" when
the release date arrives. Of course, now that FC11 is in good shape FC12
is about to be released.

Up to now I've always downloaded the latest source tar file, unpacked it
and ran from source under Linux or Windows. It allows me to keep
multiple versions running on the same system and it's easy to do (just
unpack the source tar file). When I saw that you were generating RPMs (a
very good thing to do, in my opinion for what that's worth) I wanted to
give it a try and ran into the FC10 dependency issue. That prompted me
to start playing around with generating an FC11 compliant RPM.

I was able to manually generate an FC11 RPM that installs the "run from
source" environment I'm using. The current .spec file will unpack the
source tar file to a temporary directory, create the bash scripts
necessary to start d-rats, create the "run from source" RPM, then delete
all of the temporary files. I used the RPM file to install 0.3.2b6 on
the other two FC11 systems I have here. So far I have not been able make
it happen using setup.py, which would be easier.

Thanks for producing the RPMs, I think it's a great thing. Ideally it
would be nice for a Fedora used to be able to do a 'yum update d-rats'
to get the latest version from a yum repository somewhere. That should
make running D-RATS under Linux easier for those who want to give it a
try, but that may not be comfortable with a manual install.

73,
Mike, N0SO
n0so at att.net
mheitmann at n0so.net