[drats_users] TNC Port Support

compuvet at aol.com
Wed May 27 23:41:36 PDT 2009

Dan:

Having discussed the high speed data path idea with you in Dayton, you
know I fully support the inclusion of a TNC channel.  I think it is
great and would open up new possibilities for data transfer beyond the
slow speed D-STAR data path and the D-STAR DD channel.  We too have
lots of ARES members with TNCs. You would bring lots of our ARES
members to D-RATS if you did include a TNC port.

As for AX25 frame support, you might start with unproto frames first
and avoid all the callsign routing stuff.  You have all the logic built
in to deal with the ARQ aspects of the channel and don't necessarily
need callsign routing.

In the long run, I believe there is value in making it AX25 aware.  In
Missouri we have a state-wide packet net built on TheNet type nodes.
Routing is not automatic but you can manually build a connection across
the state by sequentially connecting the nodes that you need to create
an end to end channel.  Basic AX25 support would allow you to use this
and other digipeater networks. It doesn't require full AX25.

I personnally want to build an AX25 stack over a high speed digitally
modulated signal.  Packet radio needs an overhaul with newer digital
modulation schemes.  I am studying several digital modulations schemes
for one that is appropriate for my purpose.  D-STAR uses OFDM with GMSK
carriers.  I read some comments that lead me to believe someone has
written sound card libraries to encode and decode OFDM/GMSK.  If anyone
knows who is doing this work, I would love to meet them.

I know all the pieces I need for my project exist.  I just need to
learn where they are and put them all together.  I have even ordered a
few GMSK chips to advance my knowledge.  Like everything in life, the
more I learn, the more options that occur to me from a design
perspective.  I believe I could build a prototype using the Satoshi
board and homebrew software.  However, for the frugal hams in the
hobby, I would like to come up with a less hardware intensive solution.
  I have successfully tested sound card OFDM/DRM on an FM channel.  Not
quite the fully digital solution I am looking for but it works.

DE K4LSU, Craig