[drats_users] Repeater Proxy Operations

Dave Cooley
Sat Mar 21 14:36:54 PDT 2009

Bob,
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. The D-RATS list sever has a
tendency to forget me from time to time and I have to go back in and rejoin
the list. It may just be trying to tell me something.

In any event I will try to answer some of your questions:

The Proxy by definition is a "middle man" and you insert it between the
D-rats client and any number of destinations. In normal RF configuration it
would be pointed to the com port you have your DSTAR radio connected to as
you have stated. The DSTAR radio selects the routing from that point either
repeater or simplex. (actually Simplex works better as it has less latency
issues) In this case the proxy is set to Com port and the D-RATS client must
point to the proxy ( if the proxy and client are on the same machine just
insert net:localhost:9000 ) It is possible to connect many separate pcs with
D-RATS clients to the same Proxy (we do this now with the Ratflector). It is
also possible to connect several proxies together. As you can see, you can
build a rather substantial D-RATS network fairly easily. I am currently
running a proxy behind my firewall with several D-RATS clients connected to
it as well as an RF connection via com port and several external client
connections around the country. Anyone of these other client connections has
the ability to insert a proxy and then connect to an  RF connection as well.
This gives us the "last mile" rf capability at as many locations as we need.

D-RATS is not a server based application but it is possible to place the
D-RATS installer on a local server for users to install on their machines as
needed. Forms are included in the install process.  Forms are stored in the
application data directory on each individual PC in the D-RATS folder. This
contains all of the specific user information and maps and forms and is
independent of version. The actual program files are under the Program files
directory. I understand the desire to have all of the forms in one common
point so you can make changes on the fly but currently this is not
available. It would be a good suggestion for future releases. You can make
that as a suggestion on the new D-RATS feature and Bug tracking system.
Anyone can make a suggestion or report a bug just go to www.d-rats.com/trac
.

The task of interfacing with WEBEOC is in the hands of the folks at ESI.
They have committed to building a D-RATS form that would contain the
information they need to populate their system and  provide an interface to
read it into WEBEOC.  They have D-RATS running on their machines at ESI and
have been set so they can connect to the Ratflector.  You may want to
contact Tom Koch W4UOC who has been working directly with ESI on this
effort. Tom is the EC for the North Fulton County (Atlanta) Georgia
ARES/RACES . I am sure he would be glad to provide you with all of the
information on WEBEOC integration.

73
Dave Cooley
N2LZ