[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.0b11

Dan Smith
Fri Jun 19 17:49:25 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I just posted 0.3.0b11 with the following changes:

- Fixed (hopefully) D-RATS going into a tight loop and chewing CPU
  when a socket connection closes
- Added a "wait_for_chat" plugin method and an example that
  demonstrates how to use it (example_chat_incoming.py)
- Added a toggle for disabling chat timestamps
- Added an automatic reconnect loop to the repeater
- Added the beginnings of automatic message forwarding

The automatic message forwarding is naive at the moment, but I think
that it's a reasonable start.  In order to properly support this sort
of thing, I made some changes to the message structure:

There is now an explicit format-independent "routing information"
header block which contains the source and destination callsigns for
the message.  This may replace some of the "sender" and "recipient"
fields in the informal message formats in the future, as it would be
redundant.

Right now, the message forwarding is basically just a single-hop.  If
you address a message to KK7DS and send it to K7TAY, K7TAY will send
the message out to KK7DS if KK7DS is known (i.e. shows up in the
stations tab).  This can be on any attached port, which would allow
gatewaying between two bands or modes through a station that knows
stations on both.  It should also be quite useful on a single
frequency if one station is central and can hear anyone.  Just send a
message to that station and it should be able to get it where it needs
to go.

Later, I will add the ability to have something like a routing table
which will let you explicitly forward messages for a given station
through another station, or a default station.  This will let you
build a static routing structure to actually move messages around
through multiple links and networks.

This new bit of function deserves a warning.  PLEASE use this
responsibly and don't set up a bunch of automatic routing over
repeaters and reflectors unless you have some serious permission
granted.  Use simplex or network links for automatic routing to avoid
incurring the fury of voice users :)