[drats_users] AX.25 Support

Tony Langdon, VK3JED
Tue Jun 2 14:22:17 PDT 2009

At 12:05 AM 6/3/2009, you wrote:

>Yeah, I understand that stuffing the D-RATS packets into the AX.25 UI
>frames would be a simple way to enable digipeaters.  However, it opens
>a can of worms that is likely to get out of control.  I really don't
>want to get too far into the packet realm, and I don't want to end up
>bringing in more of an antiquated protocol.  I *certainly* don't want
>to end up with AX.25 data flowing through the D-STAR system.  I can
>see the pressure for this increasing the closer we get to AX.25
>support.

Perhaps this is where you go down the modular route?  Don't bother
adding AX.25 support to D-RATS, but instead, make the data available
on an easily accessible (software) interface, and publish the specs,
so others can pursue the goal of adding an AX.25 I/O module, if
there's enough interest.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com