[drats_users] Default File Location

Dan Smith
Sat Jul 4 05:59:42 PDT 2009

> Instead of automatically building the default path, what if the user
> was presented another popup window that allowed the user to select a
> default location, with the initial default being the desktop.

How about I make D-RATS show the configuration dialog the first time
it starts up when the user has no existing configuration?

> There would be wording that would say (example only): D-Rats now
> needs to create a folder that you can share with other D-Rats
> Users. The Default location will be the desktop. If you want to
> select a different location, click on the Browse button"

Perhaps on saving the configuration we pop up a box that says "Your
download directory <dir> does not exist.  Do you want to create it
now?"  This would work for the case where the user is running D-RATS
for the first time (and is thus forced to edit and save the
configuration before using the program).  It will also help if the
user changes their directory to something that doesn't exist.

So, the process of installing D-RATS for the first time would be:

  1. Install D-RATS
  2. Run D-RATS
  3. User is forced into the configuration dialog the first time with
     a default download directory specified
  4. User optionally changes the directory setting
  5. User hits save
  6. If the download directory doesn't exist, user is prompted to
     create it

Thoughts?