[drats_users] GPS for use with IC92AD

Barry A. Wilson
Fri Jan 9 21:42:16 PST 2009

Mike,

   You should be able to use any GPS receiver compatible with an RS-232
output/NMEA format at 4800bps/9600bps.  That being said I use several
different devices with my software. When I'm just out with my laptop I use
the SPRINT Wireless EX720 Sprint EV-DO Merlin CDMA Modem by Novatel. Not
only does it supply 3G Internet communications it also outputs the 9600bps
NMEA GPS signals.  Dan modified his D-RATS software to allow you to use
different COM port speeds. Originally he only had the default 4800 bps but
for those of us with newer GPS units the 9600 bps is becoming more the
standard. For more responsive data updates I will plug in my Garmin Color
Map GPS or Garmin III for their NMEA outputs.

    As previously stated you will not be able to use D-RATS on the ICOM 92AD
with the ICOM GPS Microphone as you won't be able to have a data and the
hand microphone both plugged into the radio unlike the IC-91AD which has a
separate speaker microphone and data port.

    Now you may want to run more than one application or even use more than
one GPS input.  You can purchase GpsGate Standard for Windows from Franson.
You can download the trial version for testing for free
http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp?file=GpsGate.exe
<http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp?file=GpsGate.exe&ok=1> &ok=1 and
purchase a license to activate the same software you downloaded for the
trial later.   The software will allow you to take one GPS signal and branch
it out to multiple applications like D-GPRS, Street Atlas Plus, Map Point,
Google Earth etc.  You can also receive multiple GPS signals and combine
them or like in my case choose which device is providing the best signal
(Garmin from a serial connection over the AirCard) for your realtime data to
your D-RATS, TNC, or mapping programs.

73

Barry

KA0BBQ